Monday, March 22, 2010

ACC.10


The American College of Cardiology Conference last Monday in Atlanta was: intense, eye-opening, amazing, and slightly overwhelming.

And I Loved It.



Stephanie, fellow classmate, took some Excellent Photos <<--Click There I wasn't sure what to expect when I first walked down to the press room but seeing real journalists hovering over their laptops typing away was amazing. And of course, one room over was an impressive room full of food and refreshment for the media. I met amazing people and learned several lessons. The first of which is to dress comfortably, I think I put a few miles on my shoes but I am quite happy I chose comfort over style. Thanks to Professor Thomas' words of wisdom! About the people. Stephanie, Kirk and I got to meet Ed Sussman who is a freelance health/medical journalist and editor of an online site. He also is a big name in the journalism world and formerly with the Enquirer. There were also journalists from around the globe in the World Congress Center that day too. It was amazing to see how journalists are able to create stories, for a variety of news outlets, right there in that space!

I picked up a lot of swag from the conference that I went through last night--much of which I do not understand and therefore went in the recycling bin. However, the impression the expo site left on me alone was quite impressive. From technology demonstrations with real, outrageously gorgeous models, to the preserved hearts of people with cardiovascular issues---absolutely amazing. The poster sessions were my favorite because I got to talk to actual researchers who were more than eager to discuss their studies. Although I can't say that I understood the bulk of what they were discussing, I did feel that I learned the most by talking to the people really involved in the research. I also began to understand my role as a journalist and the importance I have as a mediator between the pure science and the people. Now, I can finally embrace my task.

1 comment:

  1. Amen--the role of "mediator between pure science and the people"!!

    ReplyDelete