Friday, March 12, 2010

From Malaria to Cardiology

Yes, completely unrelated in this blog post--except for the fact that they both will be mentioned.

A few weeks ago Dr. Bernard Nahlen, Deputy Global Coordinator of the President's Malaria Initiative spoke in the Voices from the Vanguard lecture series and shared quite a few interesting points about malaria. Having traveled to the African continent, I remember the daily pills I had to take and the brief sickness I scared my entire family with upon my return in which I feared that I indeed had malaria. Yes, little did I know then. However, Dr. Nahlen's lecture was insightful and not only gave a detailed background on the various species of malaria as well as the international efforts that have attempted to reduce the burden on sub-Saharan medical systems because of malaria.

One thing that the Vanguard lectures have communicated is the impact of health on economic, educational, and political systems. The cost of a sick person goes beyond mere dollars one has to spend on a medical visit or co-pays (if you are lucky enough to have insurance....or unlucky depending on how you see the situation)--the cost of a sick person correlates directly to the wealth of a nation. Sick and dying people cannot contribute to sustaining any form of economic prosperity, knowledge, or really...anything. A vicious cycle evolves because health systems become burdened and eventually fall apart. As I become more aware of the world I live in, I realize that a group of do-gooders cannot swoop in and fix everything for everyone because there are a multitude of factors at play. Despite all this, there is hope. The Voices from the Vanguard are proof of this because they continue to do their work and share it with people such as myself. By providing opportunities to hear from those actually attempting to make that change. ...just something to think about...

Now, in a matter of days I will be inundated with more information about cardiology than I believe I will be able to handle, but it shall be done! The American College of Cardiology (ACC) annual conference is in Atlanta this year and I will be covering the Monday sessions. I am a budding journalist, in every sense of the word. Dr. Murrow's mini "boot camp" was helpful but I have never been to a conference for a field of which I know next to nothing about. I already know that I will have fun because I have an official "Media" badge. This badge, and I say this in all seriousness, makes me feel pretty powerful. It is as if the words I write will be more than just groupings of letters, they will be tools of information dissemination to a public curious to know more. Maybe that's what they were the whole time. Good to know....

Until next time (i.e. post ACC Conference)...

2 comments:

  1. I like your beforehand description of ACC. It was pretty accurate. The media badge has interesting power. I'm still unsure what it is, exactly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Vanguard lectures do provide insight into the hugely complex world of health on community, local, regional, national, global levels. St. Joseph Hospital system received high rankings from a U.S. News Report study. Am happy to give more info if this would benefit your beat!! See you soon.

    ReplyDelete