Monday, April 26, 2010

AHCJ Conference 2010


The Association of Health Care Journalist annual conference was held in Chicago this year and in one word---Fantastic!

Thursday:
I was star struck in a way only a health nerd would be---Thomas Frieden, CDC Director and Kathleen Sebelius, Secretary, DHHS spoke at the opening of the conference. They said nice things (insert what I cannot remember here).

Friday & Saturday:
If you are unfamiliar with Unnatural Causes the I suggest you find a copy of this documentary and watch it. Tony Iton spoke on a panel about how health disparities can be incorporated and inform a journalist. Disparities and Inequities don't exist in a vacuum and neither to they appear out of nowhere. They have a context and as a journalist, it is my job to describe their intersections. Mari Gallagher, another interesting panelist, created an interesting map correlating BMI to Zip Codes which then was superimposed on a map of food deserts.

I also went to a panel about "Super-Agers." Just so you know, we are living longer but not always healthier. Imagine what that will mean for our health care system in the coming years. However, research on those that are living longer and better could help us better understand what happens to us as we grow older and how best to treat our elders (and eventually, ourselves) as we reach those Golden Years.


Outside of the fun Schwag and lovely people I met at the conference, I'd just like to say that Chicago is a fabulous city. I had the most delicious deep dish pizza from Pizza Due, visited "The Bean" in Millenium Park, took way too many pictures of tulips, and strolled around the Art Institute. I've made up my mind to return. And go to another AHCJ Conference.

Good Times.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to know I wasn't the only star-struck health nerd. The whole conference was cool. Nice recap!

    ReplyDelete