Monday, April 12, 2010

Why I Run

On Saturday, April 10, I engaged in a pursuit that I never thought I would undertake. I ran.

North Greenville.University in Tigerville, SC sponsored a 5K run/walk benefiting the local Boys and Girls Club. A classmate and NGU Professor, Christine H. told me about the run after I offhandedly remarked in February that I enjoy running. Now, this is true. And I immediately signed up for the race because it benefits a good cause and gave me a reason to really begin training for the eventual half marathon I want to participate in (somewhere far, far down the road).

This mission is a part of my personal health goals for the rest of my life. Throughout the semester I've learned that one's health is inexplicably tied to other social determinants, some of which are out of our control. From what I've seen and heard, I've become impassioned to illuminate such factors. I also feel that I have the power to lead by example--which is where this running thing comes into play.

I come from a unique family. There are athletes galore and we are pretty healthy people. My 84 year old grandmother even has a gym membership (and goes daily) to the local YMCA. However, we all eat our share of fried foods, breads, and other unhealthy unmentionables that are staples in any southern diet. I see my friends already struggling with cholesterol and heart issues. Most of them are younger than me, and I'm only 23. Therefore, I ran this 5k to say that if I can do it, they can do it too.

I was immediately filled with fear when I realized I'd be running in those lovely hills. They never looked so "hilly" until I realized I was going to run in them.

My Number
Post-Race Cool Down.

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! You did it! What an incredible feeling of accomplishment it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHH! Lori! I'm so glad you did it! Congrats! So, when are you running your next one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another voice added to the chorus of admiration. What impresses me is that you're applying what you learn to your own life and striving to set a good example.

    Sometimes I'm a good example, other times a terrible caution.

    ReplyDelete